About Me

My photo
Welcome friend, I'm Lynda Joy - grateful follower of Jesus, honoured wife to my darling, proud mother of 5, home-educator, massage therapist, & enthusiastic creative. I'm delighted that you are here, sharing this God-given treasure-hunt called life with me... So many gifts waiting to be discovered. So, here's to life, joy and health!

16 June 2012

3 GIFTS MOVING

Today we moved. Not house or country, though we've done that a few times!

We moved cameras!

Creative daughter has been wanting to move into the capacities brought about with a bigger and fancier camera. Today she bought her new toy and so Father bought daughter's present camera as a gift for me. He is sure that I, too, can enjoy the wonders of this creative medium.

Delighted as I am with my new gift, there is a part of me that is scared. What if I am not good at this? What if I just don't get this medium? What if I don't have that stroke of genius, or the ability to think outside the box for that something special? What if...? What if...? What if...?

Unbeknown to creative daughter, when I was exactly her age, I too, wanted to do photography. There were no fancy digital cameras back in the dark ages...film only. So, I bought myself the best camera at the time. I was even offered a job with a photographer, but I turned it down...scared that I might fail. Today I find myself having come full-circle back to the same spot.

Today, I see my fear for what it is instead of being crippled by it's powerful emotion. That is not to say I don't feel it, but I have learnt that my fear only becomes a reality when I allow it to have power over me. Fear cripples creativity. Fear cripples thought. Fear cripples all forward movement.





Creative daughter, however, is brimming with creativity, joy and pure infectious delight. Click! Click! Click! I watch with green-tinged eyes. Could I? I won't be as good as her? She sees things that I just don't. But then I realise that I'm letting that fear control. All my excuses are just that...excuses! Fear crippling. Because I don't know anything until I have a go, until I try.

Eyes laughing, creative daughter asks if I want to go out on a photo shoot with her. Feeling her enthusiasm, feeling her warm love I take the plunge. "Sure. Would you mind giving me some help?" "Absolutely, Mum!" I feel fear begin to subside. "...Perfect love casts out all fear..." 1John 4:18. Baby steps, but I am moving!



So, today I've
   ...  moved cameras...
          ...moved away from fear..
                ....moved towards love.

2 comments:

  1. And YOU see things differently to how SHE sees them! A perfect compliment. :-)

    Fear IS so crippling, so I'm glad you're moving away from it. We should all try and tackle some of our fears more often I think. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're right, Talia. We are a perfect compliment :)
    Our day out together was wonderful. I learnt so much...like having a charged battery, or not forgetting the SD card.:( But we created lots of memories and she patiently taught me as we went along. I do think I'm going to enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete